Sowerby’s Ellison Glass Works (1847 – 1982)
John Sowerby established a glass house in 1847 in Gateshead to manufacture pressed glass only. His son George took over the firm after his death in 1879. By 1882 they had become the largest manufacturer of pressed glass in England. During the Victorian age Sowerby produced such artistic designs in glass that one has to rank them on a parallel with Wedgewood and Minton Pottery. The factory closed down in 1972 and was demolished in 1982.
For more information see English Pressed Glass 1830 – 1900 by Raymond Shack ISBN 0 – 7126 – 1871 – 6
Also the Sowerby CD's http://www.carnival-glass.net